Monday, December 14, 2009

To Nancy Jo






Grandmommy,



On the second day of Christmas, my grandma gave to me, two very special memories...




Well, truthfully, you've given me many more, but I want to share with you my two favorites. The first, is when I was little and used to stay with you while my mom went to work. Every day she would drop me off with McDonald's pancakes, and every morning I would share one with you.


My other favorite memory of you and I is when we used to watch Guiding Light together. Surely, I would be playing with dolls or some other toy, but for a good minute I was just as up to date on the scandal as you.


And today, we still share a passion for some similar shows. I can't wait to call you and talk about Desperate Housewives and all their latest antics. And though these memories will never leave my heart and mind, that is not all I wish to say to you.


Thank you for always being there for me. You are such a wonderful grandmother and I know I can always talk to you, no matter how sensitive the subject. Anytime I feel upset about something, you always seem to know exactly what to say. Your wisdom has guided me many times, and for that I am forever in your debt. And even when you know I am headed down the wrong path, you still manage to love me without judgement.


I suppose the other thing I could think you for is for my stubborness. For today though, we shall call it dilligence. While stubborness has gotten me in trouble a few times, dilligence has served me well in school and my relationships. So I thank you for this character trait. For now, all I can hope is that one day, I am as dilligent as you.


Finally, I think you for the lessons you have taught me, and chief among those, is to pick my battles. This mentality has saved me many times from a hard and useless road. Taking the road less traveled is one thing, but to take the road with landmines is just ridiculous.


I wish you a Merry Christmas, full of joy, family, and love. Most of all, as we gather this year, may we remember the reason for the season.


All my love,


Salina Anne





























No comments:

Post a Comment