Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holden


Dear Holden
On the 10th day of Christmas, my cousin gave to me, 10 bruises purposefully.
From ambushing and beating me up while I'm on the couch to attacking me directly, you have consistently been trying to kill me since you were little. But it's okay because I know that it's mostly in love.

However, I must mention that you are a great cousin. For as long as I can remember, and to this day, you still are so good to me when I come to visit. You're always so helpful and willing to go get me food or whatever I need. Thank you for always making me feel welcome when I come down to your side of town. And though I can't come over as much as I used to, I enjoy being around you every time I can get there...

I can't believe that you are 14 years old. It is so weird to think that at one point I was holding you in my arms, and you were just a brand new baby. It is quite crazy to see you go through the phases. I watched you grow into your head, and don't take it personally, I'm still growing into my teeth so... You just used to hit that cannonball on every wall, table, floor. It was as if there was a magnet in that thing.

Then I experienced your question phase, which I'm no doctor, but I'm relatively sure that it lasted longer than most and at the movies you came close to losing your life. At the time your volume never changed, no matter the circumstance.

And now I'm watching you go through a new phase. Being a teenager is a mixed blessing you see because it's when you have the least responsibilities with the most freedom. On the other hand, you never feel more awkward, misunderstood, or insecure. There's a reason they call it teen angst. And it almost seems like tradition that the moment you hit 13, everything gets weird. But you will also have some of the best times of your life. Remember to not listen to other people's experiences, and concentrate on making your own.

But Holden just remember that you are an intelligent, inquisitive, and creative person. For a while I thought you were going to grow up to be a writer like your cousin. You've got all the stuff their to do it. But then I think about your Uncle Billy that thinks you've got everything it takes to be a pro bicycler. And that's it, you have all the tools there to do or be whatever you want to be. Not everybody has that ability, so you should be happy to be one of the few who do.

Just so you know, it does make me sad that I can't be down there as often, but that makes the times I get there all the more special. I look forward to seeing you at Christmas!!
Love Always,
Salina




No comments:

Post a Comment