Wednesday, December 16, 2009

To Grandad



Dear Grandad,


On the 4th day of Christmas, my grandad gave to me, four silly nicknames.


Anyone who knows you and me know that you have way more than four nicknames for the people you know best. No, I'm not going to list them because they are all way to silly and embarrassing. But, ever since you came along, all I know is that silly (and sometimes ridiculous) nicknames seem to find me.

The older I get, the more I realize how much you helped me when I was little, even though I didn't know it. You (and grandmommy) for that matter were at times like unsung heroes. Anytime I needed something (and it wasn't completely crazy) I know that you were willing to help out in whatever way possible. That's just the kind of person you are, and I admire that. You give, and you don't expect anything in return. I've seen you help out so many people, from your family to friends in need. You don't do it because you have to, you do it because you want to and it is the right thing to do. That is also just the kind of person you are. (In case you are not catching the pattern, this makes you a pretty great person)

And not only are you a giver, but most of the time, you are so quiet about your giving, that people may not remember. I just want you to know that I remember. You didn't have the easiest life, but you made the best of it. That takes a lot of courage, and I think you to be a very courageous person. I really respect you.

I don't even mind it when you are grumpy. I might be a lot more grumpy if I was you. Heck, I am grumpy, so maybe I just relate. But I also know, for the most part, I can tell you to snap out of it, and you will. Once again, not because you have to, but because you want to and you know it's the right thing to do.

When I really started to understand you was when I found out you are a Pisces with a Taurus rising. Yeah, yeah, I know your not crazy about the stuff, but I am so deal with it. Once again, not because you have to, but because you know it's the right thing to do. Seriously, though, poor grandad. To have such conflicting emotions, attitudes, behaviors, and beliefs swirling around in one person, I'm amazed you get out the bed.

But the thing is, grumpy, happy, sick, well, angry, goofy, or whatever emotion you are at that moment, I love them all because I love you. I don't do it because I have to. I do it because I want to and it's right. And that's what I've gotten from you.

Love Always and Forever,
Pigeon Toes

No comments:

Post a Comment