Friday, December 11, 2009

A Thought for Tonight

Tonight, sitting home sick and weary, I ponder the season. 'Tis the season to be jolly... But around me I see little holiday joy. What I do see are angry, pushy shoppers. What I do see are exhausted and underpaid holiday staff. What I do see are people spending money they don't have, even though, didn't we just learn that lesson?

I grew up loving the holidays, for myself Christmas, but for many others Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. There is something about this time of year that has always felt so magical. And even though things never turn out like you plan: aka two people in your family are fighting, you can't afford what you really want to get that 'special person', or grandma stuffing your face with that nasty fruit cake again...somehow I still always find myself sad it all ended and waiting for next year.

The older I get, the more I realize that there truly is an even more special reason for this time of year. It is a time for belief. We need to remember to believe in ourselves and each other. I have a card that I carry around in my apron that a customer gave me. On the front is a picture of Mother Teresa and on the back is one of her prayers. Though I am not Catholic, I believe these words are helpful, especially in the season of giving and forgiving:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway. If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway. What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway. The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway. Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway. In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
So, this jolly season as I make my way through the angry shoppers, pissed off employees, and other holiday fare, I take this quote with me. It reminds me to be a better person, even when it would be easiest to be a real ass!

1 comment:

  1. OK, ok, I've probably told you a thousand times, I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU! What an exceptional young woman you have turned out to be!! Although, I don't live close to my family always know you are in my heart and part of my soul! I am today who I am because of my family. Always your biggest fan and most devoted Godmother! Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete