Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Oscar Night: super messes


























Super Messes
In some ways, having some of these ladies on here is truly painful. Some have been on the Hollywood radar for years, some have even been considered fashion icons, and some, I've just always liked. But it's time to separate the fashion from the person. Remember, being perfect is not always possible.
  1. Mariah Carey: I'm not sure the above applies to Mariah, although she has been around for quite a while. What girl around my age did not bounce around to her award winning Forever Album? Where to start? Color might be appropriate. Plain and simple, navy rarely works on the red carpet (one pass to Hilary Swank who rocked it in 2005, though it might have something to do with her perfect figure). This number has slutty bridesmaid written all over it. And what is this jewel at the hip? It's not that the color doesn't match, it's just seems out of place, like a missed price tag attached.
  2. Charlize Theron: First, you are so beautiful, and so many times you have been the beacon of what is correct about the red carpet. But this is not one of those times. The fitting is perfect, the color is beautiful, but then we reach your rosebuds, our eyes never leave them. Little extra goodies like these (the dress's rosebuds, not hers) shouldn't detract our attention from the rest of this dress.
  3. Maggie Gyllenhaal: At first, I hated this dress. And after four hours of seeing over and over again, it finally hit me: it's not the dress's fault, it's Maggie's stylist's fault. There's nothing wrong with the dress, necessarily. It's just NOT the correct venue. Truth is, I like the pops of color, it's almost like a canvas, and Maggie was truly stunning. It's just too casual for the biggest night of entertainment.
  4. Amanda Seyfried: Another dress I instantly didn't like. First, though I have heard many say it compliments her skin, again no. I too am the color of a sheet, and no matter how many times I reach for light colors, I put them back. This is Armani Prive, quite similar to what Jennifer Lopez wore, but here's the difference: Jennifer filled out the dress, and Amanda, well didn't.
  5. Zoe Saldana: I loved you long before any of these people knew who you were. I have seen Center Stage over 20 times recognizing your talent long before Hollywood caught on. But, while I love you, I did not love your dress. I get it, but, no. Much like other critics have said, you've got three distinct styles going on and they just don't meld together. Each one alone is stunning, but all together, it's just one big mess.

Again, each one of you can come back from this. Bad fashion happens to good people and just remember, 2011 is another season for second chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment